SIGNPOSTING OF RIGHTS
OF WAY AROUND WEST KILBRIDE
A few years ago, David Hutchison approached the Society concerned that the established Rights of Way (ROW) around West Kilbride were neither recorded nor signposted. Two of the paths had already been lost through development.
After researching the state of the ROW signposting, the Society approached North Ayrshire Council with their concerns. The Society offered to contribute towards the cost of new signposts.
After some delay the project is nearing completion with many of the signposts already erected and a few still to be completed.
On completion the Society will arrange to pass over one quarter of the cost of the signposts and hope that this will ensure that no Rights of Way are lost in the future.
Jack's View Viewpoint
In 1986 the Society decided to create a Viewpoint on Corsehill Drive overlooking Arran in memory of Dr Bill Jack B.Sc. Ph.D., a well respected member of the village who was active in the Boys Brigade and the Horticultural Society. The Society received an Award for it as part of the European Year of the Environment in 1987.
The photograph shows the seat at the Viewpoint. The Society also undertakes the constant maintenance and repair to the indicator and the seating area.
Sadly the indicator plate and wooden seat were vandalised a few years ago and we have been looking for a suitable method for showing the viewpoints on Arran which would not be damaged. At last we have obtained an etching on a stainless steel plate which should be vandal proof. The Society is grateful to have received donations towards the cost of replacing and installing the new plate from the May Lockhart Trust, the Windmill fund and Mrs Joan Jack. We are grateful to Gordon Middleton who has kindly agreed to mount the new indicator plate at no cost.
The wooden seat has also been replaced by a more substantial one. It was agreed that the dedication should also include Alex Jack, Dr Jack's son who recently died of Motor Neurone disease. We plan to have a dedication ceremony as soon as possible.
Law Castle was built in 1488 as a home for Princess Mary, the elder sister of King James III of Scotland.
In 1980, when the castle was under threat, the Amenity Society began restoration work to preserve the building. It is now privately owned and has been completely restored.
The drawing of the castle was taken from a previous publication produced by the Society called "West Kilbride and Seamill"
PATHS IN THE GLEN
The Glen, which was part pf the Kirktonhall Estate, was given to the village in 1924 by the then owner, Mr Robert Barr.
In the 1990's members of the Society were involved in making a new path down by the burn and restoring other paths in Kirktonhall Glen, the main park in the centre of the village.
On occasions local school children were involved and a group from YWAM (Youth With A Mission) also helped.
The picture shows a new board walk being laid over a wet area in the Glen. More photographs can be seen in the Gallery.
WEST KILBIRDE CIVIC SOCIETY holds talks at 7.30p.m. on the last Tuesday of the month from September - November and January - March in West Kilbride Community Centre, Corse Street, West Kilbride, N Ayrshire KA23 9AX
CHARITY NO. SCO11125
Chairman - George Donohoe
Vice Chair - Alan Hodgkinson
Secretary - Audrey Kolon
Treasurer - Chris Fisher
Mem Sec - Chris Fisher
Events Sec - Alan Hodgkinson
Website - George Donohoe